Caring for Fabric Convertible Tops
Mercedes Porsche Mechanic | Midtown Auto Repair | Services | Sacramento
If you are looking for tips on how to clean and protect your fabric convertible top, you have come to the right place. Today we will walk you through the simple steps that you need to take in order to keep your fabric convertible top in tip-top shape. A quick note before we dive in…make sure your top is fabric and not vinyl. This article is specific to caring for fabric convertible tops only.
To begin, make sure that you are not using regular car cleaning solutions on your fabric convertible top. When cleaning a fabric convertible top make sure that you are using convertible top cleaning solutions like RaggTopp. Solutions like these are made specifically for convertible tops and have a completely different makeup than normal car cleaners. Using normal car cleaning solutions on your top can be harmful and can lead to long-term top damage.
Once you have the appropriate solution, you are ready to begin:
- Make sure your top is completely dry. Just like when you wash your car, you want to make sure that the surface is completely dry and out of direct sunlight. Doing so prevents solution stains on the surface.
- Make sure you wash the entire convertible top at one time. Do not spot clean as doing so will leave rings or spots.
- Wet your convertible’s top to rinse off the loose dust and dirt.
- Spray the convertible solution evenly over the entire roof and scrub lightly with a soft bristle brush. Let it stand for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with water until your have cleared off all of the solution leaving no foam and soap left over.
After you have cleaned your top, you are ready to apply the protectant. Using protectant is important because your car’s soft top is exposed to the same harsh environment that your painted surfaces are. And obviously, your car’s soft top is not as durable as your car’s painted surfaces. Applying a protectant will prevent your soft top from deteriorating at a faster rate than your painted surfaces.
When applying protectant:
- Make sure your top has dried up from your initial cleaning.
- Whether it is brand new or has been sitting in your garage for a few months, give the solution a good shake before use and several times during application.
- Spray the solution evenly on the material with a sweeping motion. When applying the protectant do not saturate.
- Let the protectant dry for about 10 minutes and then apply 1-2 more light coats.
- After applying all coats, use a microfiber towel to wipe off all of the excess overspray on paint or glass.
- You do not need to apply protectant every time you clean your car but do make sure that you apply it every 6-8 weeks for maximum protection.
Driving a convertible is fun but caring for it does take some extra work. Use these tips to help care for your convertible top and to ensure that it lasts just as long as the rest of your car.
For more information on car maintenance stay updated here on our monthly blog and visit us at Midtown Autoworks.